Knowlwood Road, Todmorden, Lancashire OL14 7PD
Every Child, Every Chance, Every Day
Miss Norman - Class Teacher
Mrs Ford - Class Teacher
Miss Marshall - Teaching Assistant
Miss Walters - 1 to 1 Support
Year One Home Learning Plans
Below are the weekly Home Learning Guides for Year 1 for Summer Term.
Click the date to open.
There are links to resources within the document that will help you.
Week One: Monday 20.04.2020
Week Two: Monday 27.04.2020
Online Reading Books are available at:
(login details have been texted home)
If you manage to follow the above learning plans each week - that is great and you and your child are doing really well. If you need to ask questions about your child's learning, contact school at firstname.lastname@example.org and someone will get back to you.
We have closed, private class Facebook pages too. They are a great place to share your at home learning and just keep in touch with your school community whilst we can't all be together. Ours is Shade Leavers 2025 - drop in and get involved.
Don't forget the class Twitter page - scroll down to the bottom of this page to see the feed and find the link.
Here are two child friendly online books to help you explain and talk about the Corona Virus.
If your family have the time and desire further learning opportunities, the following online sites are packed with ideas. They can be a bit overwhelming - just dip in and grab anything that takes your fancy!
Our TOP recommendations are:
Letters and sounds DfE - This government backed website offers daily phonics sessions - something we do in school every day through Early Years and Key Stage 1.
https://play.numbots.com/ - Numbots is a fun way for children to practise their key maths skills - including counting, recognising quantities and early addition and subtraction facts. It's presented in a game style with levels to win - and your child can use reward "coins" to create and improve their robot avatar.
https://online.espresso.co.uk/espresso/login/Authn/UserPassword - We have student access to Discovery Education's Espresso site... there are lots of themed activities, fact files, online games and printable activities for students from Nursery to Year 6. Our school pupil log in was texted home on 27/04/20.
https://www.purplemash.com/sch/shade - There are countless games and activities linked to all parts of the curriculum on here (if you have lost your child's login then please get in contact and I will send their details over as soon as I can).
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/primary - The BBC have added lots of content over Easter to support Home Learning.
https://www.thenational.academy/ - Oak National Academy is a new collection of high-quality lessons and online resources. Backed by the Government, it has been created in response to the coronavirus lockdown. The online classroom offers free access to video lessons, quizzes and worksheets. All of the lessons are ordered so your child can learn along a clear plan. There will be new lessons and resources each week.
Here are some further links you could explore:
https://www.robinhoodmat.co.uk/learning-projects/ - These are FANTASTIC home learning packs. They are split into weeks and have lots of maths/reading/writing activities and open ended projects for Year 6 to get their teeth stuck into.
https://classroomsecrets.co.uk/free-home-learning-packs/ - There are a range of home learning packs for free on Classroom Secrets. We use Classroom Secrets in our Maths lessons so children will be familiar with the format (printing may be required).
https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/keystage2-ks2/ks2-class-management/school-closure-home-learning-classroom-management-key-stage-2-year-3-4-5-6 - Twinkl has released a range of free resources to support with school closures (printing may be required).
Art for Kids Hub - Another site we use in school. Links to Directed Drawing sessions. Pick carefully they cover a lot of skill range!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1?safe=true - Joe Wicks is releasing daily PE lessons (30 minutes) every weekday at 9am. The link attached will take you to his YouTube channel.
Scroll Down to see what learning we have planned for the Year and to see our termly galleries and Y1 Twitter feed.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and download the School Jotter App to get important updates and class galleries.
· In maths we will start by looking at numbers up to 10. We will be counting forwards and backwards, finding one more/less, comparing numbers and ordering them. We then move on to addition and subtraction within 10, introducing symbols and number bonds, using lots of practical resources. Then we will learn to recognise and name basic 2D and 3D shapes and finally we will look at numbers up to 20.
· English – moving from word level to sentence level. Our main focus is finger spaces and getting our letter shapes correctly formed – lots of lovely handwriting practice! We are also spending time retelling familiar stories in picture and words.
· Phonics – Phase 3 and 4 lots of blending and segmenting CCVC and CVCC words
· In Geography and Science: we will observe changes across the four seasons and how the weather change throughout the year. Throughout the year in Year 1 we will observe the weather and plants changing and signs that we are entering a new season. We will also do daily and weekly weather forecasts.
· In Science we will be learning about animals including humans. We will identify and compare a variety of common animals including fish, birds, amphibians, reptiles and mammals. We will also learn about carnivores, omnivores and herbivores. In addition, we will learn about the basic parts of the human body and the five senses.
· History – We are researching Toys old and new. We will look at how toys have developed over the years including what they were made out of and different trends. We will interview our parents and grand parents to discover what were there favourite toys and we will even have a go at making some of our own toys.
· Our Enrichment topics for this term will be looking at the local environments and creative arts.
· In maths we will start with addition and subtraction within 20. We then move on to comparing and ordering numbers to 50 and counting in 2s and 5s. Finally, we will measure length, height, weight and volume.
· English – Time to get those full-stops and capital letters nailed!! We are doing lots of work this term on writing stamina so that we can write lots of lovely things next term!
· Phonics – Phase 5 More blending and segmenting and looking at alternative spellings – especially that tricky split digraph _e
· In science we will learn to distinguish between an object and the material it is made from. We will identify and name everyday materials, including wood, plastic, glass, metal, water, and rock and describe their simple physical properties. This will involve simple tests and various experiments.
· In geography we will be researching the seven continents of the world and their connecting oceans. We will learn songs to help us remember them. We will also look at the seasons of different places in the world in relation to the equator.
· Our Enrichment topic for this term are learn a new skill and games.
-In maths we will start with multiplication and division. We will count in tens and make equal groups by sharing and grouping. We will also start doubling numbers. We then move on to number fractions, investigating halves and quarters. In geometry we will learn about position and direction and finally we will learn to measure money and time.
· English – we are now at text level. We are doing whole pieces of writing like diaries, letters, retelling stories, recounts and instructions. We expect that all our Year 1’s will be able to write a short piece independently by the time they leave Year 1.
· Phonics – Repeat Phase 4 and 5 at super speed ready for the phonics screen in June.
· In science we will be finding out about plants. We will learn to identify and name a variety of common wild and garden plants, including deciduous and evergreen trees. We will try to identify and describe the basic structure of a variety of common flowering plants, including trees. This will involve investigating plant parts carefully and observing seeds grow.
· Our topic for the summer term is Honest John. In Geography, we will learn through fieldwork and observation all about our town of Todmorden. We will find out about some of the key human and physical features of the area as well as having the opportunity to draw maps and field sketches. In History, we will learn all about John Fielden, we will research who he is and why he is important to the town as well as understanding what it was like to be a child in the Vicorian times.
· Our Enrichment topics for this term are STEM activities and genius hour where we get to research a project of our choosing.
Don't miss our termly photo galleries below
Get newsletters, calendars and photo galleries direct to your phone.
<<<Play Store Link App Store Link>>>
Autumn Term Gallery - Coming Soon
Spring Term Gallery - Coming Soon
Summer Term Gallery - Coming Soon