Mr Stringer - Class Teacher
Miss White - Teaching Assistant
Mr Brown - English Teaching Assistant
Welcome to Year 5
Please attend our Welcome Meeting on Monday 12th September.
- Our library day is Thursday. During our library session, children can take books out of our well-stocked school library.
- Children are given the opportunity to change their home reading books after lunchtime. The changing of these books will be monitored.
- Children swim EVERY OTHER MONDAY and are either in Group 1 or Group 2 (spare letters with groupings on are in the classroom).
- Children may bring age-appropriate reading books in form home to enjoy during Quiet Reading sessions
Scroll Down to see what learning we have planned for the Year and to see our termly galleries and Y5 Twitter feed.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and download the School Jotter App to get important updates and class galleries.
- In Maths we will begin with place value and the four calculations. As Christmas approaches, we will be investigating area and perimeter.
- In English this half term we are exploring The Boy at the Back of the Class with a key focus on refugees. After the holidays we will be studying the novel Street Child by Berlie Doherty. This text links perfectly with our Autumn term History topic.
- In our enrichment time, we will be developing our Geographical Map Skills.
Our History topic is the Victorians. We will be going on a fantastic trip to Bradford Industrial Museum to experience schooling during the Victorian period.
For Science, we will be looking at Space. We will revise our knowledge of the planets in our solar system, the phases of the moon and study famous astronauts.
- In Maths we will continue to revise the long methods of multiplication and division before moving onto fractions, decimals and percentages.
- In English this term we will study two texts. The first is all about Ernest Shackleton’s famous voyage across Antarctica. The second text we will study is the famous poem by Alfred Noyes, the Highwayman.
Our Geography topic for this term is Rivers. We will begin with studying the different courses of rivers and what features you would expect to find there. We will then move on to studying famous rivers around the world. As part of this topic, we will partake in an overnight residential to Malham!
In Science we will be focusing on different forces. These include: gravity, friction, air resistance, water resistance and buoyancy.
- In Maths, we will continue our work on decimals before moving on to different shapes. We will discuss their properties and also measure their angles. · Our English will be focusing on The Adventures of Odysseus. This text will link well with our History topic of the Ancient Greeks.
We will be going back in time in History and will be looking at the Ancient Greeks. We will look at their Gods, learn more about the city of Troy and have a go at making their cuisine.
In Science we will be learning about different materials and animals including humans.
As we get ready to move up to Year 6, we will get the opportunity to have a transition day at Todmorden High School.
Don't miss our termly photo galleries below
Get newsletters, calendars and photo galleries direct to your phone.
<<<Play Store Link App Store Link>>>
Our TOP recommendations for online resources to support learning are:
https://ttrockstars.com/ - PLEASE encourage children to work on their time tables. They are crucial in the Years 5 and 6 maths curriculum (if you have lost your child's login then please get in contact and I will send their details over as soon as I can)! -
https://www.purplemash.com/sch/shade - There are countless games and activities linked to all parts of the curriculum on here (if you have lost your child's login then please get in contact and I will send their details over as soon as I can).
https://online.espresso.co.uk/espresso/login/Authn/UserPassword - We have student access to Discovery Education's Espresso site... there are lots of themed activities, fact files, online games and printable activities for students from Nursery to Year 6.
Knowlwood Road, Todmorden, Lancashire OL14 7PD