Miss McCracken- Class Teacher
Miss Pollard-Teaching Assistant
Mrs Sutcliffe- Wednesday Class Teacher
Mr Brown - 1 to 1 support
Welcome to Year 6
As the term progresses please check out our Gallery on this page and on the School Jotter App.
- Children may bring in a snack to enjoy during morning playtime. This must be a piece of fresh fruit or veg or a healthy cereal bar.
- Our library day is Tuesday. This is when children may take out or return books from our school library. They will also have a banded reading book from the KS2 library.
- Children are welcome to bring in age-appropriate reading books from home if they wish to read during quiet reading.
- Spellings are given out on a Friday to be brought back ready for our Spelling Quiz on the following Friday.
- Our PE day changes often - please have a full indoor and outdoor PE kit in school as we will often grab a quick session when the hall is free or the weather good.
Scroll Down to see what learning we have planned for the Year and to see our termly galleries and Y6 Twitter feed.
Don't forget to follow us on Twitter and download the School Jotter App to get important updates and class galleries.
What We Will Learn in Year Six
Click the Image for a full year overview!
- In Maths we will lay the ground with place value and the four calculations. As Christmas approaches, we will be investigating area and perimeter.
- In English this half term we are using the film of Carrie's War as our stimulus. After the holidays we will be studying a new book called Shadow Forest - a fantasy adventure set in the Norwegian countryside.
- In our enrichment time, we will be learning some BSL. By Christmas we will teach you to sign "Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer" if you ask
Our History topic is World War 2 and the Home Front. We will be taking a trip to Murton Park as Evacuees where we will learn to live as children of the 1940s.
For Science, we will be working with electricity - looking at simple and parallel circuits to design a Halloween lantern. In the second half of the term, we will look at Light - how it travels and how we can manipulate it.
- In Maths we are tackling fractions, decimals and percentages to begin with. We will then move on to ratio and algebra.
- In English this whole term we are reading Wonder! Check out our fantastic writing based on the story around school.
- Inspired by the themes of Wonder! Our mission is to be kind to others without being caught.
- Our History and Geography topic for this term is North America, starting with the geography of the USA - the extremes of weather and population from Alaska to Hawaii. We will then look at the modern History of Native Americans, the European immigrants and the African slave trade - from the Pilgrim Settlers through to Obama.
In Science we will be focusing on animals and their habitats. This includes evolution and adaptation in the first half term and then we will be looking in more detail at living things and their habitats - using the creatures of North America as our focus.
- Let's not beat about the bush. The first half of this term, we will be preparing for the SATS tests. BUT, we will make plenty of time for fun and relaxation too.
- After SATS we will spend some of our Maths time on Computing - looking at spreadsheets and other data handling.
- Our English will be focusing on short texts, including some lovely picture books to prompt our own longer writing.
We will be romping though the decades in History - from the 50s to the Teenies - looking at popular culture and key events of latter part of the 20th Century. Meanwhile, in Geography, we will be learning some mapping skills and looking in detail at our local environment.
In Science we will be learning about the body - starting with the heart, lungs and circulatory system.
- It's a big term for us - Shade Shines and the Leavers' Assembly are both coming up. And - of course - we will be preparing to move on to our new schools. Transition visits will take place ready for the next phase in our school journey.
Don't miss our termly photo galleries below
Get newsletters, calendars and photo galleries direct to your phone.
<<<Play Store Link App Store Link>>>
Our TOP recommendations for online resources to support learning are:
https://ttrockstars.com/ - PLEASE encourage children to work on their time tables. They are crucial in the Years 5 and 6 maths curriculum (if you have lost your child's login then please get in contact and I will send their details over as soon as I can)! -
https://www.purplemash.com/sch/shade - There are countless games and activities linked to all parts of the curriculum on here (if you have lost your child's login then please get in contact and I will send their details over as soon as I can).
https://online.espresso.co.uk/espresso/login/Authn/UserPassword - We have student access to Discovery Education's Espresso site... there are lots of themed activities, fact files, online games and printable activities for students from Nursery to Year 6. Our school pupil log in was texted home on 23/04/20.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/primary - The BBC have added lots of content over Easter to support Home Learning.
https://www.thenational.academy/ - Oak National Academy is a new collection of high-quality lessons and online resources. Backed by the Government, it has been created in response to the coronavirus lockdown. The online classroom offers free access to video lessons, quizzes and worksheets. All of the lessons are ordered so your child can learn along a clear plan. There will be new lessons and resources each week.
Here are some further links you could explore:
https://www.robinhoodmat.co.uk/learning-projects/ - These are FANTASTIC home learning packs. They are split into weeks and have lots of maths/reading/writing activities and open ended projects for Year 6 to get their teeth stuck into.
https://classroomsecrets.co.uk/free-home-learning-packs/ - There are a range of home learning packs for free on Classroom Secrets. We use Classroom Secrets in our Maths lessons so children will be familiar with the format (printing may be required).
https://www.twinkl.co.uk/resources/keystage2-ks2/ks2-class-management/school-closure-home-learning-classroom-management-key-stage-2-year-3-4-5-6 - Twinkl has released a range of free resources to support with school closures (printing may be required).
Art for Kids Hub - Another site we use in school. Links to Directed Drawing sessions. Pick carefully they cover a lot of skill range!
https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1?safe=true - Joe Wicks is releasing daily PE lessons (30 minutes) every weekday at 9am. The link attached will take you to his YouTube channel.
Knowlwood Road, Todmorden, Lancashire OL14 7PD